Dr Heckroodt Laubscher

Specialist Orthopaedic Shoulder Surgeon

Impingement Syndrome (Sub-Acromial Bursitis)

This is the most common cause for shoulder pain. Usually the pain is associated with overhead activities. Pain is dull and aching in nature, but is not usually associated with any weakness. Most often occurs in middle aged patients.

Recommended treatment and care needed for this condition:

Relief can be obtained through non surgical means and these are successful in up to 80% of patients. These measures include oral anti-inflammatories, sub-acromial cortisone infiltrations and home exercises. The other 20% of patients often require surgery. Surgery is performed by arthroscopy (keyhole) and is performed under general anaesthetic.
The patient remains in a sling for 2 weeks post surgery. Driving is not recommended during this period. Full shoulder function is regained approximately 6 weeks to 3 months post surgery.

Read about some more common shoulder ailments below.